Monday, March 8, 2010

I Just Couldn't Help Myself

It was raining this morning when I got up, and a good deal colder than yesterday, and I pretty much resolved to stay in the hotel for the few hours I had before departing. But in the end I just had to go out for a brief stroll, and it's like a drug in the veins.

So, a few more pictures from the couple of blocks around our hotel on Nathan St.






The selling along the main thoroughfares here is much more like Shanghai, in that people badger you to come into their stores. Particularly along Nathan Rd., there are lots of Middle-Eastern- or Indian-looking men wanting to sew things for you. It would be kind of cool to have a hand-made suit from Nathan Rd. in Hong Kong, I guess (if I wore suits).

My impression of Hong Kong society matches that from my visits to other parts of China: everyone seems healthy and happy and industrious, and the culture seems very much disinclined to self-aggrandize. People dress in a contemporary way, but not as slaves to fashion, and everyone is quiet and respectful of others (with allowances being made for dealing with such crushes of humanity on the sidewalks and ferries and buses). There are lots of teenagers around, many of them in school uniforms, but they present quite a contrast to American teens (as, perhaps, the adults contrast with American adults). Everyone seems functional and respectful of others and mindful of their own business. What a concept!

Here's hoping for a weekend layover in my near future.

No comments: