This is just... stupefying.
I cannot add anything to this discussion, nor voice my stunned outrage as eloquently as these two do here, but WOW. I just never believed anything like this could happen here. Jesus H. Christ: these people are MANDATING that the government basically rape women who exercise a legal right to control their own bodies. The people promoting this should be jailed for tyranny.
(Dahlia Lithwick covers the same topic in Slate.)
I mean, honestly: who would support such a measure? No sane woman, certainly. But what man would support it? And what woman would want anything to do with such a man? How does a party at war with 51% of the population (and a sizeable chunk of the other 49% who support the 51%) remain viable? How can we possibly be having this discussion in 2012 America?
I have never in my lifetime witnessed anything more outrageous than this.
(And why are men never the focus of these draconian tactics? Why, for example, are not the fathers of the--presumably--illegitimate children not imprisoned and forced to pay for the children they've fathered?)
I keep thinking it can't get worse, and I'm shocked and ashamed almost daily to see how wrong I am.