- Republican partisan... Check!
- Self-proclaimed advocate of "family values"... Check!
- Staunch opponent of abortion... Check!
- Proudly self-identified as "evangelical Christian"... Check!
- Proponent of abstinence-only sex "education"... Check!
- Public advocate of "traditional marriage"... Check!
- Fucking a staffer when no one is looking in contravention of all the dicta he would impose on the rest of the world... Check!
(But I'm sure he would oppose his girlfriend's abortion if their contraception failed--the same contraception he would deny to his fellow citizens.)
At least he's owning up (after being caught) for his failings, right?
In the poisonous environment of Washington, D.C., any personal failing is seized upon, often twisted, for political gain. I am resigning rather than to put my family through that painful, drawn-out process.
Or not. I guess his head-spinning hypocrisy is really the fault of the "poisonous environment of Washington." My bad.
Congratulations, Mark "Republican Stalwart" Souder. Now you can join your buddies (for your 15 seconds of shame before your big-money friends find a cushy, six-figure executive job for you). High-fives all around! Some of the most recent and high-profile inductees to the Republican Scumbag Honor Roll include:
Larry "wide stance" Craig
And there are plenty more waiting in the wings.
Jesus. How long will it take before we stop taking this political philosophy at its word? Just as surely as the priest who attempts to deny the strongest urge the human animal possesses will find that urge manifested in abnormal ways, we must realize that the sexual morality propagated by the christian right is untenable and contradictory to how we are wired.
If we would fix our behavior we must at least begin by recognizing our urges.