Wednesday, October 8, 2008

If I were King of the World...

...I'd require software to have a little box that pops up whenever someone types "it's" asking:

Can this word in your post be replaced by "it is?"

There would be Yes and No buttons which would correct the punctuation until, say, the computer user had pressed Yes on, say, 100 consecutive occasions.

I know it's confusing because we think of the apostrope-s suffix as connoting possession, as in "wunelle's blog." This makes something like "The board knew the deficit was it's own fault" seem right. But, of course, "it's" can ONLY mean "it is." The apostrophe is wrong in every other case. It would be better, I think, to use no apostrophe than to use it where it shouldn't be. But maybe that's just me.

I think I must misuse the semicolon in similar fashion, but I'm too stupid to know that it should bother me.

But I get the its / it's thing. And lately it bugs the shit out of me.

That is all.

No comments: