Saturday, December 1, 2007

The Huckster

I heard a piece on NPR yesterday where former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee was heard shouting to a cheering throng: "I'm not descended from any ape!"

I suppose it's fair to disqualify me from voicing an opinion on the views of someone with whom I disagree on virtually every topic (and it would surely be easier on my blood pressure to just continue with my ongoing disregard of him). But I'm just so tired of the public setting the bar so depressingly low. How embarrassing to us that a guy like this can become a candidate--especially after we've seen another utter ignoramus shit on our country and the world for nearly a decade. It simply should not be acceptable for someone to pander to this black hole of dark-ages ignorance in this country and have it pass without comment, let alone have one's Wal-Mart embrace of that ignorance be one's chief asset. To unilaterally oppose evolution at this date is tantamount to saying "I don't live on no round planet!"

If he were a regular citizen he should be hooted off the stage for such a pronouncement. As a presidential hopeful we should at least demand that he have taken--and understood--elementary science, including biology. Without this baseline he should be automatically removed from serious consideration. That he may be threatening for the Republican nomination makes me despair for our culture--and fear that we'll continue getting exactly what we deserve.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with your comment. It has gotten anymore so that you don't have to tell me what you might do for this country (because it might offend someone) you have to tell me what the other person is doing wrong! Is it any wonder that more people don't vote. The list of candidates that might make a difference is almost non-exsistent. The majority of these people are brown nosers and yes men! P.S. Vikings 42 Lions 10!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, talk about minimum requirements. No one seemed to care that before W became president he had never been to another country other than Mexico.

Can you imagine being that rich and privileged and having no desire to see the world? Having no care or regard for other countries and cultures? How could anyone expect him to be a good president? The only thing he has ever given a shit about is Texas.

wstachour said...

Yeah, he doesn't give a shit about Texas either. I think it's all about power as a validation of a severely flawed personality.

Lincoln believed to his core in the ultimate wisdom of the populace; I'm really, really unsure at this point. For every smart person I know, there are three idiots, and two of them are loudmouths. In the end, I'm afraid that's enough to win.

Anonymous said...

Well, it's a perfect insult to apes everywhere to say that he's descended from them.

A. Random