Saturday, January 28, 2006

Sam Harris

Another day on the road. So I leave you with someone else's writing.

A friend sent me this editorial from The Huffington Post, and I like to pretend I wrote it myself but without having to bother about having the skill to actually pull it off. It's interesting the furor of comments the editorial got (almost Lizzie-like!), including the R. J. Eskow rebuttal (which, notably, is much longer than the original post) and the comments on that. Reminds me of all the sniping at the heels of the DaVinci Code. It makes for a fascinating discussion topic, even if the commentary can be most tiresome. He may not be "right" on a subject which is notorious for wriggling around the right / wrong gate, but he raises his point most adroitly, I think.

Turns out Sam Harris has a book out, which has now moved to the top of my to-read list. But for now, we leave you with a delicious little quote:

"The President of the United States has claimed, on more than one occasion, to be in dialogue with God. Now, if he said that he was talking to God through his hairdryer, this would precipitate a national emergency. I fail to see how the addition of a hairdryer makes the claim more ludicrous or more offensive."

3 comments:

Dzesika said...

I have to say, that makes me want to put my hair dryer in a box (I'll even throw in a little UK-plug-adapter-thingy) and post it to the White House ...

Joshua said...

What, God doesn't talk to everyone? Jesus and I were at a poker game the other night and God came in. Seems like a nice guy, all in all, though sort of secretive, and a bit full of himself, if you ask me.

wunelle said...

A syllogism:

1. I have no hair

2. I therefore need no hair dryer

3. My atheism is explained